Sunday, November 20, 2016

Crochet Drawstring Backpack


I made this bag for my  eldest.  I have never made a bag for him yet, because I was thinking of making something not for babies but not for adult also. Something for a little big boy. He is 7 years old and he won't appreciate if I make him some character bag, he won't even take a look at it. He is so proud to be a "big boy" already. So I made this drawstring backpack. I did not plan for this to be in 2 colors. It is supposed to be just the fleck one, but I run out of yarn, so added the black yarn. and it turned out fine and actually much better.

The design of this bag is very adjustable.. You can make a bigger one by adding more chains in the beginning and more rows. You can either make this in one color or more.  I did not indicate in the pattern when to change color, because it is not necessary, use your imagination. You can even make this in rainbow colors if you want to.



Materials

Stitches used:
  • ch - chain
  • sc - single crochet
  • sl st - slip stitch 

Instructions:

Row 1. Leave a long tail at the beginning of your work before starting about 2 feet, we will use this for sewing the fold use to hold our cord. Then chain 90 plus 1. SC in the 2nd chain from the hook, and the rest of the chains. Chain 1, turn.

Row 2. SC in the first stitch until the end. Chain 1, turn. 

Repeat Row 2 until your desired width of the bag is achieve. For this bag I was only up to Row 42. Then fasten off and leave a long tail also in this side for sewing again the other side of the bag to hold the cord. Make sure that the tails are on the opposite ends and side of your rectangle. Just like the illustration below

We are going to fold both ends of the rectangle and stitch it with a simple whip stitch. This is where our cord will go through.  My two tails are in different colors, and since this bag is in two colors also, when I fold and stitch them, the white one would go to the black part and the black yarn would go to the white part. But in the front it doesn't really show that much. So I just leave it like that.

See? it really doesn't show that much. So now that you're done sewing the fold, let's fold the bag in the middle and sew both sides using the whip stitch also. BUT do not sew till the top for we will insert our cord in there. 
Then let's add the finishing touches. This is were you insert your cord also.  The pattern for this is simply chain 6, sc in the 2nd chain from the hook, and sc till the end, chain 1 and turn. Repeat sc all the stitches until row 4. Leaving also on both ends a long tail for sewing.  Make two (2). I made one in aran fleck and one in black also. Then sew this small piece into the back of your bag.



Now in inserting the cord, i follow this video on Youtube. Just watch till the last part where she insert the cords. I hid the knots at the folded area so that it won't show. 

Here are some pictures of my son wearing it. At first he doesn't like it ( yes that's true) he dislike everything that I made for him, for he feels like I am only making things for babies. When I told him that even his father would wear this one, he did not hesitate anymore. He even use this one at school during examination day. And I think he loves it already. 

So that's it. I hope you all learn something and enjoy this post. If you have any questions, comments or suggestion just leave a message on the comment box and I will gladly answer them. Thank you and God bless!


xoxo

Nanay Madel



Don't forget to share on facebook, pinterest , twitter and more... Please bear with my pictures, I just took them using my phone. Thanks! 

**Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish all photos from this blog as your own. You may make and sell products from my pattern. Please also link back to my post. Any link back will be much, much appreciated.Thank you very much. **
I always make sure to share also because I learn crochet for free and I got all of my patterns from all over the internet from some very generous bloggers. So please also click the links and support the bloggers.


Thought of the Day

November 20, 2016

The Sabbath and the family were alike instituted in Eden, and in God's purpose they are indissolubly linked together. - SD 181


No comments:

Post a Comment